More than I care to tell my family about for sure.
Most of the time, it was my own stupidity that led to the unfortunate incident. I try to learn from my mistakes and not get killed. You can’t take any more pictures if you’re dead. All NGM photographers have close calls, and most have gotten hurt or sick in the field. See the real story and the stats at The Photo Society.
When working with wildlife and nature in general, it is absolutely crucial to respect your subject and surroundings. This means the usual outdoors etiquette (leave everything as you found it and take your trash out with you), and with wildlife it means disturbing your subject as little as possible. Before you even set foot in the field, research your subjects and talk to people who know the area you’ll be working in. Do your homework and don’t waste the time of the people who are helping you out. Show up when you’re supposed to, and ALWAYS send the prints that you promise to people. Learn what the rules of conduct are for the species you’ll be photographing, what a respectful distance is, what behavior to avoid, and what the “back-off” signal is. To get good photos of any animal, doing your homework is critical. The goal is to safely get good photos of your subject behaving normally, not showing aggression or running away from you.
And even if you do your best, wildlife is still unpredictable. I’ve been charged by musk oxen and grizzly bears while on assignment, and either one of them could’ve very easily killed me. But in reality, very few people are killed or wounded by wild animals. To give you some perspective, an average of 15-20 people die in the u.s. each year from domestic dog bites, while only one person per year is killed by a bear on the entire North American continent.
Most times, wolves and anacondas aren’t the biggest sources of concern while on assignment. In many parts of the world, photographers face malaria, yellow fever, typhoid and myriad other diseases. While on assignment in Madidi, I was bitten on the leg by a female phlebotomous sand fly who was carrying leishmaniasis, a microscopic flesh-eating parasite. A month or so later when I was back at home, I noticed a hole on my leg that wasn’t healing. After consulting with several doctors, we found out that it was leishmaniasis. The only way to treat it is a month of chemotherapy — an IV of an antimony solution. Like all chemo, it wears you down and can make you pretty sick. It also throws several of your internal organs out of whack. It was six months before I felt normal again, and I was lucky the doctors figured it out when they did.